Post by Scarlett’s momma on Nov 11, 2022 4:56:36 GMT -7
[Original subject line:Compression of neck C2-C4 ]
Hello, my baby is a 10yr old American bulldog. Always active. She was diagnosed with a liver mass July 17, we have been in and out of specialist appts since.
CT scan in September showed she had a ‘mildly slipped disc at C3.
We spent thousands on diagnostic tests before we proceeded to have the liver mass removed on Oct 18.
Prior to the [liver] surgery, she started showing signs of walking drunk, she was unsteady on her feet and was sometimes in a brain fog. We were never cautioned about the slipped disc. We were not told to restrict movements, nor was she put on anything med wise.
Oct 18 she walked into surgery, afterwards she did not wake as a normal dog would. She basically could not move. Liver surgery was a success and they got clean margins.
She went to neurology.
[date of ?]MRI showed compression of C2-C4, most notedly at C3.
Also a small mid brain lesion that the neurologist said could be vascular vs inflammatory. Spinal tap was clear. So they decided it was inflammation. They put her on dexamethazone and two days later she came home walking with support, [date?] transitioned to 50mg pred, gabapentin and famitodine.
We were told to get her up and walk her, 5 minutes two to 3 times a day. A week later, I called and asked if getting her up was a good idea, should we make her get up for potty breaks? Or let her decide. They told us to get her up, also told us to stimulate her brain, get her outside. So we did.
Two weeks ago [Oct 28?], she attempted to stand, and tumbled while on the lawn on a blanket, with bolsters supporting her, (and us watching close, we were outside 10 ft away). We got her Help ‘em up’ harness on her and get her to her feet, and she was walking without support! Took her back to her bed, that night [Oct 28?] when we attempted to get her up, she was limp, her neck pulled tight to the left. A swelling on her back behind her shoulder blades started again. (This was present prior to surgery, no one said anything about it, but after she was on a course of doxy at clinic, it went right down to nothing). . Another call to neurology and again we were told she must be up for small walks.
We feel we were given the wrong information and we feel we caused more damage by this. We took her back [date?] to neurology (2 hrs away) and they neurologist took one look at her (after her team handled her roughly, lugging her around by her harness like luggage). She [neuro] said “no improvement, she has brain disease” and pretty much told us this was the end, deal with your regular vet from now on. Gave us some ✙dexamethazone to try for 7 days, but that was that. Looked at the new swelling, didn’t says anything about it.
[MED LIST/HISTORY- Moderator's Note. Please do not edit
10/28(?) limp limbs (front or back?), neck to left (pain?)
✙dexamethazone as of date?: ?mgs ?x/day for 7 days, then taper
famotidine? ?mg ?x/day ]
Our vet xrayed [11/7] her Monday, ultrasound As well as blood work and urine culture. She has a UTI. The spine showed good on X-ray. So the swelling is soft tissue.
This dog is my child. She is eating and drinking, holds her pee, deep pain sensation in all 4, can move all 4, can reposition herself. And to give up on her after she’s gone through liver surgery? Because of poor communication and information from the ‘specialists’? Unacceptable.
What can we do for her?
Member since 2007: surgery, conservative . Montana, USA
Post by PaulaM on Nov 11, 2022 7:30:58 GMT -7
Welcome to the Forum. Would you provide the neuro’s 10/18 report on the MRI. This is complicated. Dates, full details is the only way we can have a full picture to be able to comment.
Upload a scan or a jpg a place of your choice. Then copy a link in your next post to the report
Please register to fully access all the features of the Forum. Registering will help you as well as us.
What is your own vet’s take on the situation and his Monday diagnosis. Did your vet read the 10/18 neuro report?
Did ne xray the neck area? What did he observe about the C3 area?
Provide full details on all meds she is currently on
Mgs each dose
How often given
NEURO STATUS, current today
Do any of the the 4 paws knuckle under?
Does she walk even if wobbly
Can she attempt to move up into a stand with back legs? front legs?
Describe what the front and the back legs can or can't do currently
In your post list only those things you observe from this list:
SIGNS OF PAIN:
⚙︎ shivering-trembling ⚙︎ yelping when picked up or moved
⚙︎ tight tense tummy ⚙︎ arched back, ears pinned bac
⚙︎ restless, can't find a comfortable position
⚙︎ slow or reluctant to move in suite such as shift positions
⚙︎ not their normal perky interested in life selves
➕if a neck disc:
◻︎ head held high/ nose to the ground
◻︎ looks up with just eyes and does not move head and neck easily.
◻︎ not eating due to painful chewing or in too much overall pain
◻︎ holds front or back leg up flamingo style not wanting to bear weight
-- Learn about Dex. An informed owner is a dog's best defense when taking an anti-inflammatory for a damaged disc during conservative treatment.
It may take a 2nd opinion from a different neuro to get a better perspective and handle on things PLUS feel what is the most likely diagnosis (brain disease vs. neck disc episode or ?). A diagnosis is simply the listing of the most likely disease then ranking those 3-5 diseases as to which ONE
is the most likely. Tests, imaging, vet's experience with different diseases, the way the dog acts all help to support the particular disease the vet gives as the diagnosis. With the diagnosis, then comes which treatment to Rx.
——Should the diagnosis be for a damaged neck disc——
Care for a damaged disc with strict rest. Takes 8 weeks for disc scar tissue to form : dodgerslist.com/2020/05/14/strict-rest-recovery-process/
Extras for a neck disc: dodgerslist.com/2020/05/05/cervical-care-tips/
Post by Scarlett’s momma on Nov 11, 2022 9:20:20 GMT -7
Spinal compression ar C2-C3 from intervertebral disc herniation
Syringe-hydromyelia of cervical spine C2-C4
Ill defines T2 hyperintense midbrain and cerebellar lesions that are likely Inflammatory or vascular
Rule out inflammatory vs vascular episode
(They ruled out vascular because she responded to steroids) they said it was inflammatory
Spinal fluid was analyzed in 3 slides, no infectious organisms observed and overall cellularity is not increased.
Post by Romy & Frankie on Nov 11, 2022 14:55:00 GMT -7
Brain lesions are not something Dodgerslist has had experience with, but Syringomyelia and IVDD are both diseases that effect the spinal cord. Although the causes are different, both these diseases can have similar symptoms, such as pain, weakness of extremities, head held at an angle to avoid pain.
Medical treatment of Syringomyelia and IVDD aims to reduce swelling and prevent pain. Anti-inflammatories, steroid or NSAID types, work to reduce swelling. Pain relievers like tramadol and gabapentin can relieve pain. For Syringomyelia, diuretics or omeprazole are used to reduce spinal fluid.
I am really sorry that the neurologist seemed to write her off because there are treatments for both IVDD and Syringomyelia. Here at Dodgerslist, we focus on IVDD. Scarlett has been diagnosed with IVDD as well as Syringomyelia. Conservative treatment for IVDD includes 8 weeks of strict crate rest. I am not sure if you have had a chance to look at the information at the link below. www.dodgerslist.com/2020/05/14/strict-rest-recovery-proc
Consider getting a 2nd opinion from a different neuro. Having a neuro that you are confident in and will work with you will make all the difference in helping Scarlett.